Skip to main content

Motherhood is the scariest hood of them all.....

Some days I get overwhelmed with the things motherhood brings. Especially since this little 2 ½ year old is coming into her own. We are in the “I do it myself” stage and starting the attitude that she knows more than me. (Which she probably does) :)  I know the mother/daughter duo of this never really changes but hear me out.

Although she will learn to respect her parents I also don’t want to tame this characteristic she’s acquired because I know that she will use these leadership skills one day for great things. I see how she is a quick learner and a problem solver like her daddy. She is a leader, and is very creative. So although it wears me out most days I will change my parenting angle to help her see how to use these traits in a positive way. To help her learn the healthy balance of it.

Often times we forget how much their reactions are a reflection of how we act. Do we yell when things don’t go our way? Do we get frustrated when we can’t do things? Are we trying to do things for them or helping them learn how to do it themselves? Are we holding them back because we don’t want to lose them? Or do we allow them to become who they want to be?

When we talk to others and ourselves are we positive and uplifting? Or do we talk ourselves and others down? Are we trying to keep them from showing emotions because we cannot handle the fits or do we allow them to have feelings and then teach them how to cope with it?

Our jobs are not only to discipline but to listen and help them become the little humans God created them to be and who they want to be. If you want to learn how to raise your child to be a faith filled, loving, forgiving, strong courageous human then first look at yourself.

We are the voices they hear most of the time. If you want the next generation to be strong, inventive, respectful, and Christ-like you have to show them the way.

So how do we get there? We have to be willing to listen, learn, and tweak ourselves. If not they will become little people who turn bitter and quite because they are afraid to feel, speak up, or take control. They don’t need us to do everything for them or let them have whatever they want. They need to learn by example how to cope, work hard, and how to learn to lose. I was reading “Failing Forward” by John Maxwell and he said that we have to teach our children that failing is ok. Because the only way to be successful is to fail first and then overcome those failures. To learn that it’s a normal part of life but they can overcome this with a positive attitude. But you cannot teach a child this if you’re not doing it yourself. - Pam

"The process of shaping the child....shapes also the mother herself. Reverence for her sacred burden calls her to all that is pure and good, that she may teach primarily by her own humble, daily example." - Elisabeth Elliot


 

So…

Olyvia – Baby girl, I promise to always learn how to be a better momma than I was yesterday. I promise to strive to respond with Grace and love. I promise to help you learn to cope. I promise to do what I tell you to do. I promise that I will posture myself and lead by example. I promise to forgive like God forgives us.

I also am so proud of the quick wit, strong willed, tender hearted, comedian that you are!
– Love mom

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sit with Jesus..

  This morning my husband got up to go hunting. Typically I’d fall back asleep and wake when the kids do but I kept hearing in my head, sit with Jesus. My mother in law gifted me a devotional years ago called messy motherhood. I’ve picked it up and put it down so many times but that’s motherhood right? However I chose that as my baseline for this morning’s visit with God. And man does he NOT disappoint when he specifically calls you to sit with him immediately!  In this devotional Lysa talks about: “(Ephesians 4:22-24). The Greek word for "made new" is koino. One of its definitions is "uncommon." I wanted to be an uncommon calm in the midst of chaos and an example of peace for my kids in a world of pressure. For that to happen, I came up with a plan for us moms: Tell the world to wait.” In my overstimulated brain I often getting very tired and weary. It’s like there’s no escaping it. But I was reminded today that I am managing blessings and if I want to cultivate q

The narrow road..

  Maybe it’s not about the straight and narrow road but how these red words come alive off this page.   Maybe it seems so hard when you’re looking in the rear view mirror instead of between the yellow lines.  I know I’ve found God at the end on my rope, looking out the window on my way to church. I believe he loves me on my bad days just as much as my worst, and I’ll never get to heaven unless I accept the hurt. He can use a fishing rod and deer stands, restless nights chasing monsters out from under the bed.  If I’m gonna get to heaven I’ll learn to slow down and soak in the view, because living water pours from the mountain and reaches the valley in the lowest points of view. ❤️

I don’t think Jesus does it that way..

  Every time I look back on what I’ve been through and I see the person I’m morphing into, I understand how the pain had to exist to get me to wake up. I’ve always been hard headed, and it wasn’t until I shared my testimony in text to my eldest niece that I truly understood the magnitude of it. I’ve talked about my testimony when I was younger but seeing it written out allowed me space to advocate for other young women like myself. Since I have a daughter I want her to know that there is so much groundwork that had to be done to cultivate a healthy lifestyle and that sometimes we have to walk through fire to find the best version of ourselves and there’s NO shame in that!  🖤 My testimony below - the younger version 🖤 “I remember the teenage years were so hard for me. I tried so hard to find where I fit in. I thrived on attention from anyone who would give it to me. I avoided the people I loved because I felt convicted of the lifestyle I was living anytime I was around good. But God!